When and where
- Date: 01.11.2021
- Time: 7:00 pm
- Location: Council Chamber, Penryn Town Hall, Higher Market Street, Penryn TR10 8LT
- Meeting agenda pack (PDF)
- Meeting minutes (PDF) – Please note: minutes remain as a draft until approved at the next Council meeting.
We’re working on making our published documents more accessible. You may also request a published document in an alternative format.
Members of the public wishing to speak regarding items on the agenda will need to make a request to the Town Clerk before noon (12:00 pm) on the day of the meeting. Please also make sure you have read the Protocol for Public Speaking at Council Meetings.
This is a public meeting. It could be filmed or recorded by broadcasters, the media, or members of the public. We aim to ensure that members of the public are not filmed without consent but cannot guarantee it. Especially if you are speaking or taking an active role. If you are speaking during a virtual meeting with your camera switched on, it will be broadcast and recorded as part of our live stream.
To receive apologies for non-attendance
2. Declarations of Interest and Dispensations
To receive declarations of interest in respect of any item on this agenda and to consider requests from Members for dispensations.
3. Public Participation
Members of public who wish to speak should contact the Town Council by 12.00p.m. on Monday 1 November 2021 to register. An opportunity for members of the public to address the Town Council concerning matters on the agenda. Find out more about public participation at meetings and make a request to speak.
- To approve as a correct record minutes 78 to 97 of the meeting of the Council held on 4 October 2021
5. Committee Minutes
- To note the minutes of the meeting of the Events Committee held on 5 October 2021
- To note the minutes of the meeting of the Planning Committee held on 18 October 2021
6. Minutes from Outside Groups
- To note the minutes of the meeting of the Place Shaping Board held on 5 October 2021
To receive items of correspondence relevant to the Council.
8. Mayor’s Announcements and Engagements
To note the Mayor’s Engagements between 4 October 2021 and 31 October 2021 and to make any announcements.
9. Representations by Cornwall Council Members and Reports from Councillors Attending External Meetings
10. Town Clerk Report
To receive an update report from the Town Clerk
11. Accounts – 1 September to 30 September 2021
To approve a list of accounts paid and the monthly statement for the period 1 September to 30 September 2021
To consider requests for community grants
13. Park Better for Penryn
That the Council considers a proposal to declare a ‘parking crisis’ in the Parish and establishes a working party to find solutions
14. Pre-Budget Discussion
To make recommendations for items to be included in the draft annual budget for the 2022/2023 financial year
15. Social Media
16. Internal Auditor – Councillor
To appoint a replacement for Councillor Kirby as an internal auditor for the 2021/22 Financial Year.
17. Saracen Awards 2021
To consider if the Council issues any Saracen Awards for 2021
18. Appointment of Internal Auditor
To appoint an internal auditor for the 2022-23, 2023-24 and 2024-25 financial years
19. Councillor Attendance
To note the Councillor attendance for the first six-months of the civic year (May to end October 2021)
The numbering of minutes is sequential and continues from the previous meeting’s minutes, the numbering restarts at the Annual Meeting of the Council.
MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE COUNCIL OF PENRYN HELD ON MONDAY 1 NOVEMBER 2021 AT 7:00PM IN THE COUNCIL CHAMBER, TOWN HALL, HIGHER MARKET STREET, PENRYN
Councillors Present: Tucker (Town Mayor), May (Deputy Mayor), Bennett, Doyle, Grant, Hanks, Harrison, Hernandez, Kirby, Langan, Milan, Ronchetti, Wenmoth, Widdon and Williams
In Attendance: Helen Perry (Town Clerk)
Apologies for absence were received from Councillor Jordan (away)
99. Declarations of Interest and Dispensations
There were no declarations of interest or requests for dispensations
100. Public Participation
No requests had been received from members of the public wishing to speak at the meeting.
RESOLVED that minute numbers 78 to 97 of the meeting of the Council held on 4 October 2021 were approved and signed as a correct record
Proposed by Councillor Langan and seconded by Councillor Doyle
102. Committee Minutes
The minutes of the meeting of the Events Committee held on 5 October 2021 were noted.
The minutes of the meeting of the Planning Committee held on 18 October 2021 were noted
103. Minutes from Outside Groups
The minutes of the meeting of the Place Shaping Board held on 5 October 2021 were noted.
The Town Clerk reported;
- Wales and West – The works to the gas supply in West Street have met with some engineering difficulties, a further 10-week closure is anticipated. The works at Western Place/Brown’s Hill will hopefully be completed prior to Christmas. With the additional road closure in January 2022.
- MS4N – Next gardening group volunteering session will take place at Glasney College Field from 10am until 1pm on Wednesday 3 November 2021
105. Mayor’s Announcements and Engagements
The list of Mayor’s Engagements for the period 4 October to 31 October 2021 were noted.
106. Representations by Cornwall Council Members and Reports from Councillors Attending External Meetings
Cornwall Councillor Widdon reported;
- Housing – it is likely that due to the typography of the site at Commercial Road, that the emergency accommodation PODS will not proceed.
- Transport – that she has been in contact with the bus companies
- Asda Trollies – more of the Asda trollies are being held at the University Penryn Campus, there is a Collex app available to enable abandoned trollies to be reported.
- Covid Cases – the queues of ambulances at Treliske Hospital are partly due to the ‘enhanced distancing measures’ that have been put in place.
107. Town Clerk Report
The Town Clerk’s report was noted.
108. Accounts – 1 September to 30 September 2021
RESOLVED that the list of accounts paid and the monthly statement for the period 1 to 30 September 2021 be approved.
Proposed by Councillor Langan and seconded by Councillor Williams
There was one request for a Community Grant from Circo Kernow.
It was RESOLVED that, in accordance with sections 1-8 of Part 1 of the Localism Act 2011 (General Power of Competence), a grant of £300 is awarded to Circo Kernow towards supplying a tutor for its workshops.
Proposed by Councillor May and seconded by Councillor Grant
110. Park Better for Penryn
RESOLVED that the Town Council declares a Parking Crisis in the parish
Proposed by Councillor Langan and seconded by Councillor Ronchetti
It was further RESOLVED that Councillor Langan and Councillor Ronchetti are appointed as Penryn Town Council’s representatives on a group to be formed by Cornwall Councillor Widdon. Cornwall Councillor Widdon will be responsible for the administration of the group.
Proposed by Councillor Wenmoth and seconded by Councillor May
111. Pre-Budget Discussion
The Clerk reported that currently the following have been requested to be included in the draft budget:
- Replacement Flags
- Preparation of the burial ground (lower part)
- Wired internet in the Council Offices
RESOLVED that Councillors email or telephone the Clerk by the 22 November 2021 with any additional items that they would like to be included in the 2022/23 draft budget.
Proposed by Councillor May and seconded by Councillor Langan
112. Social Media
The Town Mayor expressed how upset and hurt she felt over some of the recent social media postings by a member of the Council, one of which stated that the Council has “two bullies and five silent Councillors who vote with the bullies”
Following a discussion, Councillor Widdon apologised.
A request from Councillor Grant to name the bullies was declined.
113. Internal Auditor – Councillor
Councillor Langan gave a brief overview of the process of the Councillor internal audit.
RESOLVED that Councillor Ronchetti be appointed as the Councillor internal auditor to replace Councillor Kirby.
Proposed by Councillor Grant and seconded by Councillor Langan
114. Saracen Awards 2021
The Clerk confirmed that no nominations had been received for Saracen Awards this year.
RESOLVED that no Saracen Awards be granted for 2021.
Proposed by Councillor May and seconded by Councillor Langan
115. Appointment of Internal Auditor
RESOLVED that Hudson Accounting is appointed as the Council’s internal auditor for three years (2022/23, 2023/24 and 2024/25) at a cost of £700 per annum.
Proposed by Councillor Widdon and seconded by Councillor May
116. Councillor Attendance
The Councillor attendance for the first six months of the municipal/civic year (May to end Oct 2021) was noted.
There being no further business to transact the meeting was closed at 8:20pm