An election has been called to fill the two Councillor vacancies, the election will take place in the Penryn Ward on Thursday 30 March 2023, those eligible to vote in the election should receive poll cards which should include your name and the polling station you can vote at. Polling stations will be open from 7am to 10pm. The names of the candidates can be found on the statement of persons nominated form below.
Election – Penryn Ward
Following the resignations of Councillors Jordan and Langan, ten electors from the Penryn Ward have written to the Returning Officer at Cornwall Council requesting an election. A by-election is scheduled to be held on Thursday 30 March 2023.
If contested, i.e. three or more candidates stand, a poll will take place on the 30 March, polling stations will be open 7am until 10pm.
If uncontested, i.e. only two people stand, a poll will NOT take place and said persons will be elected uncontested.
If you intend to stand as a candidate you must complete nomination papers, nomination papers can only be submitted in person on any day after the date of this notice, but not later than 4pm on Friday 3 March 2023 to the following location on the specified dates and times:
- Location: Deputy Returning Officer, Cornwall Council, 4S, County Hall, Treyew Road, Truro, TR1 3AY
- Dates: Friday 24 February, Monday 27 February, Tuesday 28 February, Wednesday 1 March, Thursday 2 March and Friday 3 March inclusive
- Times: 10am – 1pm and 2pm – 4pm except Wednesday 1 March which will be 10am – 12pm only.
Nomination papers can be obtained from the Deputy Returning Officer at 4S, Cornwall Council, County Hall, Truro TR1 3AY or by telephoning (01209) 614373
Guidance on who is eligible to stand for election can be found in the documents section on the left-hand side of the page.
Registering to vote
If you are not already on the electoral roll, applications to register to vote at this election close at Midnight on Tuesday 14 March 2023, you can register to vote at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
- Applications to vote by post or to vary or cancel existing postal or proxy voting arrangements must be sent to the Electoral Registration Officer by not later than 5pm on Wednesday 15 March 2023.
- Applications to vote by proxy at this election must be sent to the Electoral Registration Officer by no later than 5.00pm on Wednesday 22 March 2023, except in cases where unforeseen illness, incapacity, occupation, service or employment occurs after that time, in which case applications may be received by no later 5pm on Thursday 30 March 2023.
- All applications and notices regarding absent voting must be sent to the Electoral Registration Officer, Cornwall Council, 4S, County Hall, Treyew Road, Truro TR1 3AY.