Following the outcome of the Town and Parish Elections which took place on 6 May 2021, two seats on the Town Council remain unfilled and the Town Council has resolved to fill the vacancies by co-option.
A third position will now be filled by co-option following the completion of the Casual Vacancy process.
Any eligible person who wishes to put themselves forward should contact the Town Council to register their interest. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Telephone: 01326 373086
All eligible candidates will be invited to attend an informal meeting prior to the next Council meeting at 6:30pm on Monday 5th of July to meet with existing Councillors and discuss their reasons for wanting to join the Council.
Please note: This will be a physical face to face meeting.
Term of Office
The next Ordinary Parish Council Elections are scheduled to take place in May 2025. The successful candidates should expect to serve from the time of appointment up to the fourth day after the ordinary day of elections (predicted to be 12 May 2025)
To be eligible to become a Councillor, a person MUST be a British Citizen (or of the Commonwealth, Republic of Ireland, or European Union), who has attained the age of 18 years of age and meets at least one of the following criteria:
- registered as a local government elector for the parish;
- and/or who has during the whole of the twelve months preceding the appointment occupied as owner or tenant any land or other premises in the parish;
- and/or his/her principal or only place of work during that 12 months has been in the parish; and/or
- has during those 12 months resided in the parish or within 4.8 kilometres (3 miles)
A person is disqualified for being elected as a local Councillor or being a member of a local council if he/she: –
- holds any paid office or employment of the local council (other than the office of chairman) or of a joint committee on which the council is represented; or
- is a person who is the subject of a bankruptcy restrictions order or an interim bankruptcy restrictions order, or a debt relief restrictions order or interim debt relief restrictions order under Schedule 4ZB of the Insolvency Act 1986 (but see below); or
- has within five years before the day of election, or since his/her election, been convicted in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man of any offence and has been sentenced to imprisonment (whether suspended or not) for not less than three months without the option of a fine; or
- is otherwise disqualified under Part III of the Representation of the People Act 1983 for corrupt or illegal practices. (LGA 1972, s. 80)